PLEASE NOTE CHANGES TO U7-U10 PROGRAM FOR FALL 2013
Practice Times & Locations - 08/14/13 through 11/05/13
- U8 games will be scheduled for Saturdays. NOTE: If both teams' coaches agree, then U8 games may be rescheduled for Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday.
- ENTIRE schedule to be released at the beginning of the season for both U8 and U10 SHAL age groups.
- Tier evaluations for all three regions to be conducted on August 24th at DFF.
Important Dates for Fall 2013:
August 14: First Day of SHAL practice U7/U8
August 15: First Day of SHAL practice U9/U10
August 24: U7/U8 and U9/U10 tier evaluations for all three regions at Dave Finkel Fields (DFF) at 14750 Village Evergreen Trail in Clear Lake (Houston) 77058.
September 3: Players assigned to teams.
September 6: SHAL Volunteer Coaches Meeting, 6:30pm at DFF, fields 5 & 6.
September 7: SHAL Preseason Friendlies.
September 8: SHAL regular season schedule posted.
September 14: Regular season games begin.
November 2: Last regular season game.
November 7-10: SHAL End of Season Tournament (U9/10's only)
TBD: End of Season Festival for U8s.
Program Information--South Houston Academy League (SHAL)
Space City Futbol Club is proud to offer a skills-oriented, tiered program for its U7-U10 players. It was developed by Space City FC professional staff and follows US Soccer Federation & South Texas Youth Soccer Association (STYSA) recommended training regimens. For general questions and information about the program, please contact John Slaughter, SHAL Director of Coaching.
How does it work?
- Players are separated into 2 age groups (6-7 year olds in U8 & 8-9 year olds in U10).
- Each player’s individual skills are evaluated at the beginning of the season using a dribbling exercise.
- Teams are formed based on results of the evaluation along with input from the SCFC professional staff and division directors.
- Teams consist of players at the same skill level
- Teams are then assigned to a tier and games are played against teams in the same tier across the league
- League games are scheduled within the SCFC regions (Clear Lake, Friendswood, League City), Pearland, and Galveston County
What are the benefits?
- Special curricula developed for the U8 and U10 training sessions—ALL teams receive the same training regardless of their tier
- Curricula ensure your child is learning what they should be learning--individual skill development (dribbling & general ball mastery)
- Each player is part of a team where he or she has the chance to succeed
- Professional staff on hand at each training session to demonstrate new skills and support volunteer coaches
- Games are competitive across the entire program
- As season progresses results of each game are reviewed and player and/or tier adjustments can be made
SHALPlus - An Additional Opportunity for U9 and U10 Players
U9 and U10 players registered in the U10 SHAL Program have the opportunity to participate in the SHALPlus Program. Like the regular U7-U10 SHAL Program, SHALPlus is intended for player skill development, with practice sessions and games conducted by the professional staff. SCFC registered SHALPlus players are eligible to attend TWO dedicated practice sessions. SHALPlus practices for registered SCFC players will be conducted on Mondays and Wednesdays. Teams will participate in the Player Development Friendlies League (PDF) and play against other clubs' Academy teams at locations in South Houston, Spring, Cypress, The Woodlands, and Katy. SHALPlus teams may also participate in select tournaments during the season. Players wanting to participate in the SHALPlus players must register for tryouts since space is limited and based on the number of teams formed for each season.
For more information, go to the SHALPlus Program webpage.